Competences and organisation of the Statistical Supervisory Committee
The Statistical Supervisory Committee has the power to:
- authorise the communication of encoded research data to third parties by the General Direction for Statistics and Economic Information;
- approve the confidentiality contract under which these data may be transmitted by the General Direction for Statistics and Economic Information and used by the third party;
- formulate recommendations;
- issue opinions on draft decrees;
- conduct certain investigations.
Those wishing to obtain encoded research data have to submit a motivated request. More information in this context (only in Dutch and French) can be found on the specific page regarding the authorisation procedure.
In principle the committee meets monthly at the Privacy Commission's offices.
The committee's president is in charge of daily management and chairs meetings. He ensures that the committee's decisions do not contradict the Privacy Commission's general positions. Consequently, he can suspend the treatment of a case and submit it to the Privacy Commission.
Civil servants of the Privacy Commission provide secretarial support.
The Federal Public Service for the Economy, SMEs, Merchants and Energy (General Direction for Statistics and Economic Information) provides for legal and technical opinions preparing the treatment of requests to obtain data from the General Direction for Statistics and Economic Information. As laid down by law the Federal Public Service for the Economy, SMEs, Merchants and Energy acts as managing body for this sector committee.
The committee draws up an annual activity report, which is included in the Privacy Commission's general annual report.
The Statistical Supervisory Committee is located at the Privacy Commission's offices: Rue de la Presse 35, 1000 Brussels.
+32 (0)2 274 48 00
+32 (0)2 274 48 35
The Privacy Commission's offices are open to the public during office hours, but by appointment only.
- The Privacy Commission
- The secretariat
- Sector Committees
- Article 29 Working Party on the protection of personal data
- European Data Protection Supervisor
- Customs Information System Joint Supervisory Authority
- Europol Joint Supervisory Body
- Schengen Joint Supervisory Authority
- Visa Information System (VIS)
- Global Privacy Enforcement Network
- Working Party on Police en Justice
- European Conference on Data Protection
- Berlin Group
- International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners
- Conference of the Association francophone des autorités de protection des données personnelles