Competences and organisation of the Sector Committee of the National Register
The Sector Committee of the National Register's authorisation competences have been established by:
- articles 5 and 16, 15° of the Act of 8 August 1983 on the creation of a National Register of natural persons;
- article 6bis, § 3 of the Act of 19 July 1991 on population registers, identity cards, foreigners' cards and residence documents, as well as on the amendment of the Act of 8 August 1983 on the creation of a National Register of natural persons.
The Sector Committee of the National Register has the power to:
- grant access to the information data in the National Register;
- authorise use of the National Register number;
- grant access to the information data on foreigners included in the waiting register;
- grant access to the information data of the register of identity cards;
- grant access to the information data of the register of foreigners' cards.
If you wish to access one of the abovementioned registers or use the National Register number, please consult the page clarifying the authorisation procedure (only in Dutch or French). The general authorisations granted by the Sector Committee of the National Register have also been listed on a separate page.
In principle the committee meets every month at the Privacy Commission's offices. It has drafted internal rules of procedure.
The committee's president is in charge of daily management and presides meetings. He makes sure that the committee's decisions do not contradict the Privacy Commission's general positions. He can therefore suspend the treatment of a case and submit it to the Privacy Commission.
Civil servants of the Privacy Commission provide for secretarial support.
The Federal Public Service of the Interior provides for legal and technical opinions, preparing the treatment of requests to communicate personal data from the National Register and to use the identification number of the National Register. As established by law, the Federal Public Service of the Interior acts as managing body for this sector committee.
The committee draws up an annual activity report which is included in the Privacy Commission's general annual report.
The Sector Committee of the National Register is located at the Privacy Commission's offices, Rue de la Presse 35, 1000 Brussels.
+32 (0)2 274 48 00
+32 (0)2 274 48 35
The Privacy Commission's offices are open to the public during office hours, but by appointment only.
- The Privacy Commission
- The secretariat
- Sector Committees
- Article 29 Working Party on the protection of personal data
- European Data Protection Supervisor
- Customs Information System Joint Supervisory Authority
- Europol Joint Supervisory Body
- Schengen Joint Supervisory Authority
- Visa Information System (VIS)
- Global Privacy Enforcement Network
- Working Party on Police en Justice
- European Conference on Data Protection
- Berlin Group
- International Conference of Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners
- Conference of the Association francophone des autorités de protection des données personnelles